Monday, October 21, 2013

Short and sweet

Today's blog will be short and sweet but it comes, a little bit anyway, from a sermon I heard yesterday about success.  I am exited to be carving out some time to make these blogs more frequent.

Success to me means setting a certain minimum end-point you are comfortable with and judging your results in relation to that goal.  If, say, your goal was to earn $100 and you earned $95, you were 95% successful.  Most goals are a little more subjective than that but one can get the picture.  When you start a goal, define what success means to you.

The other take-away is that as a musician we not only can be actively engaged in some sort of physical pursuit like running, we should be engaged in some sort of physical pursuit.  I see many, many musicians and business people who "don't have the time"to squeeze in even a simple 30 minute walk with the dog.  I think this is detrimental to our long term success.  If our health goes, we won't be able to do much, including the work we don't have time to miss.  For me, the best time is first thing in the morning but sometimes the climate or keeping up on my sleep gets in the way.  I read an article shortly before writing this that going to work with less than optimal sleep is like going to work drunk and I agree.  Sleep, workout, eat right, work, spend time with your family and friends.  It's all about balance.

Short and sweet.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment