Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Silverton, Hardrock, and Mission Statements

Hello Friends,
Sorry it has been a while since I last posted.  I have been pretty busy... let me bring you up to speed.

This summer, I am in the throes of training for my second running of the Hardrock 100.  My training runs are consistently longer than ever; averaging a little more than 13 miles per run.  I have only run outside of Silverton twice, but I am hitting a good deal of mileage and hills here in Durango.  The first run was from Grouse Gulch to the summit of Handies Peak and back.  The second was today from Silverton High School to the top of Putnam Ridge and back.  I am eager for the race as each of these runs was somewhat of an exercise in route-finding.  I don't mind doing that when I'm hiking but it is really easy to miss a trail when running.  I am not generally a person who needs, or even likes, a great deal of time on the actual trail.  I can get pretty creative in any surrounding.  I remember running up parking garages in Lincoln, NE for hill work.

One of my big struggles lately, is that the bulk of my runs are starting at 4 a.m.  The main reason for this is that I am working at the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and I usually report to work at 6:45 a.m. and work 11 hour shifts.  Once in a while I can squeeze in a run after work but Durango is also quite warm in the evenings so it is better to run in the mornings.

I realize that some of you may be in disbelief that a college professor needs to work on the railroad during the summer but rest assured, my wife and I are "gazelle intense" and trying to make as big a dent in our student loans as possible (she is working as a meter maid).  The train is enjoyable but, let's be honest, I'd rather be practicing or running.  It pays the bills.  I think I am pretty adept at my position as a concessionaire as I usually outsell my co-workers.  I have always had good sales skills.  We are making progress and trying to enjoy as much of the summer as possible.  We get a mini-vacation next week... we are going to Glacier National Park with my wife's family.  We are both very excited.

So Hardrock will be what it will be.  I think I have improved in my uphill technique and use lots of little steps to keep my heart rate at a reasonable level.  I am traveling light and not packing more than one water bottle since the water up high is very drinkable.  I'll let you know how that goes two weeks after if giardia sets in!  In the high country in Colorado, a jacket, and a hat and gloves are always a must, so I'll bring those as much as possible.

Ok, now for the mission statements part.  Some of you have asked what the focus of my blog is so I'll explain it.  I believe that people need both intellectual and physical activities in their life.  There are far too many people in the world with interest and activity in only one and I think they end up missing something in their lives.  I know a great many musicians (and people in general) who suffered from some possibly avoidable maladies including diabetes, cancers, and heart disease.  I also know some athletes who suffer from brain-rot by not engaging in any sort of mental activity.  They also usually have pretty low-level careers and don't contribute much beyond their sport.  The great ones, I believe, do both.  One of the great mentors in my life is a renowned bassoonist and professional body builder.  I've known professional runners who are great computer programmers.  I would bet that someone like Jerry Rice has an active interest in some sort of non-football pursuit.  Unfortunately, we only know these people for what they do as musicians or as athletes and few every "come-out" as both and I find it disappointing.  While I am not a world-beater at either (yet), I hope people reading this blog will see the value of committing a good amount of time to both their intellectual and physical activities.  I find that when I am playing clarinet a lot, I run better and when I am running a lot, I play clarinet better.  The only compromise, as I see it, is the issue of time management.  The average American spends an ungodly amount of time watching TV every week.  I don't mind missing The Bachelor to squeeze in another couple hours of Opperman Studies and, frankly, I love running at night during football season so I can see people watching as I'm working out (there is a familiar blue glow on the curtains in their homes).  Yep, I'm that creepy guy with the headlamp outside your house.  I like movies, I enjoy a few programs on a consistent basis (who can argue with Mythbusters or Stephen Hawking's Into the Universe!?) but only after I'm either too spent to be productive or I have accomplished my to-do list for each in the day.  I make time to spend with my family.  I think it is really about priorities.  I really get tired of the "oh you're a runner, I want to run to lose 10 lbs., how do I start?"  I run because I love it... not because it's good for my waistline.  I play clarinet because elements of it fulfill me intellectually.  It can really be an exercise in consistent thinking.  I haven't tried Luminosity but I'm sure I'd love it.  Additional activities supplement both major endeavors.  I do pull-ups regularly, read books about musicians and music not directly related to clarinet, I read great non-fiction business-type books, and when the weather is bad, I ride my bike in the garage on the trainer.  It is sooooo important that people are active in both major elements of their lives.

That wasn't a very concise mission statement... how about this: I run and play clarinet because it is good for me and I enjoy it.  It is my mission to help others pursue similar endeavors in their lives because it is good for them too! So, ask yourself, why do you do what you do and how can it positively impact others?

Any questions... let me know!

The San Juans in their late spring glory! (last week, from Handies Peak)

Me atop Handies Peak (last week)

Putnam Ridge (today)

No comments:

Post a Comment