Monday, March 24, 2014

Dr. Mietz's First Three Rules

People keep asking for my life rules.  Here's the abbreviated version... everyone should have a code by which they live.  I can't say I have it down to an extensive list but the first three have never failed me:

Rule No. 1: Don't be dumb.  If something seems questionable, don't do it.  If you aren't sure it's a smart decision, it's probably dumb.  Don't do it. You can be gutsy, brave, daring, just don't be dumb.

Rule No. 2: If you didn't write it down, it didn't happen. I keep a log for most of the important things I do in life.  It sounds a little tedious but my memory sucks.  I attribute this partially to my dyslexia but if I write it down, I seldom have trouble remembering or proving a memory. I keep a running/training log, practice journal, written budget for our personal finances, and even a personal journal.  My iCal is immaculate. If it's worth remembering, it's worth writing down.

Rule No. 3: Consistency is key. This one ties the other two together, I think.  Work applied over time yields big results.  Example A: diamonds.  Pressure (i.e. work) over time creates something precious.  Writing things down helps me track and even improve my consistency.  If something is important to you, work at it as often as you can. When using consistency as a rule daily is good, twice daily is better, when I'm really in the thick of things, three times a day is the norm.  How much work are you completing a week/month/year?  When you have these numbers, you can evaluate the benefit of upping that number in the next period.  If it's worth doing, be consistent about it.

There are the first three.  I'm sure there are more but I use these every day.  Hope they help... I'd love to hear about your experiences with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment