Saturday, March 2, 2013

Slow Cooker Baked Beans

Happy Saturday everyone! I am going to divert from my usual topics of clarinetting and running for a more universal topic: food! Many of know that I enjoy a vegan palate for many reasons which I don't care to expound upon in this post. Some of you have asked me to share my recently found recipe for baked beans. With the summer approaching, this could be the hit of many a vegan BBQ or tofurkey weenie roast (though the carnivores will also enjoy it!) As a scholar, I should inform you that it is not an original creation but was included in a book called "Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker" by Robin Robertson. This book has 200 great recipes. They are easy and fun to make! I did make some changes because I didn't have all the ingredients as they are printed. Here is my adaptation. I'll put the original ingredients in parenthesis when they differ. Let me know if you make it!

2 teaspoons grapeseed oil (olive oil)
1 medium onion minced (I used the food processor and it looked like pudding)
4 5oz cans navy beans
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup (not a typo, I didn't have the 1/4 cup light molasses so I doubled the maple syrup)
1 small can tomato paste
1 Anaheim Chile (1 tablespoon minced chile in abodo)
2 teaspoons brown mustard
1 teaspoon apple vinegar (1 teaspoon rice vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
(1 teaspoon liquid smoke)

1. Heat the oil in a small skillet. I used cast iron but that is not mandatory. Sauté the onion.
2. Add the onion and beans to the croc-pot. Set it to low.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the maple syrup, (molasses), chile, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the water and blend with a whisk until well blended.
4. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. (Just before serving, stir in the liquid smoke). My sauce was a little watery so I turned the heat up to high, removed the lid, and cooked for 30 more minutes uncovered. Stir occasionally. If the sauce is too thick, add water. Add more salt and pepper if desired for taste.

That's it! Pretty simple, pretty easy. Gluten free, soy free, lots of fiber and taste! Enjoy!

This picture is what it looked like at the start of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment